Thursday, February 12, 2009

NAACP Awards


I've noticed that I myself, and maybe this applies to other people as well, need to be repeatedly reminded of what is truly important and perhaps what is a better way to navigate through life. It doesn't matter how many books you've read, how many favorite quotes you've memorized, how old you are or how many wise people you surround yourself with--- it's easy to continually forget. It's easy to get carried away, especially in this country, to be bigger, faster, richer, smarter. It's also easy to carry on the aforementioned road, since it seems like most people try to take that route and if there's anything I've learned growing up with Indian parents in an American world, it's always more comfortable to be part of a majority. Recently, there has been a shift in our national consciousness and of course I think Obama is a huge part of it, but I really hope it lasts.
I don't believe it's negative for people to want to be bigger, faster, richer and smarter--- but I'm referring to the application of it. Bigger? Why and in what way? Faster, why? Life's short enough, shouldn't we be trying to live everyday completely instead of trying to rush waiting for the next great thing to happen to us. Which has been harder than ever for me to remember. Richer? Only if we are richer together. And smarter? I think we should always be continually trying to learn and remember what the best way is to apply our knowledge.

Tonight I watched the NAACP Awards and they awarded Russell Simmons with the Vanguard Award. Of course I know who he is.. I know he's a business mogul and genius as is a lot of his family, but I wasn't aware of how much else he does. He was awarded due to his personal efforts to help increase understanding of racial and social issues. He involved in The Foundation for Ethnic Understanding, he exposes poverty-stricken youth to the arts through Rush Philanthropic, and he's a Goodwill Ambassador and Peta activist among other activities. You don't have to agree with his beliefs to recognize what he selflessly does for others and he's definitely someone to look up to----- it's motivating to know that you can do what you love and do what you should (and feel you need to) without replacing one with the other.
Sometimes I can't wait to head to design school and pursue my personal agenda, and other times I wonder if it's really that important to spend the time and the money when I could be involved in other organizations that promote causes I believe in. Yet perhaps it's important to pursue your passions and use them to support a positive global consciousness.

There's something else I noticed when I watched this award show as opposed to more mainstream Hollywood Award shows. People seem truly and completely proud of each other, and it goes without saying that most of it is because people identify with others from their own race and their own struggle; Although, I also noticed it is also because many of these people feel that they have something to prove on many different levels because they are minorities, as do I, so they are continually trying to progress forward in a positive direction.

Now that I've shared my own philosophies! And yeah I have the time to think about my personal philosophies right now--- and I think many people do too, but here's some they shared during the program which I liked...

Will Smith, quoted Confucius while accepting an award for Seven Pounds, there are two kinds of people "those who think they can, and those who think they can't, and both are right."

Russell Simmons while accepting the Vanguard Award, "Art allows people to come out of the struggle."

And the presentation by Def Poetry Jam members to Russell Simmons was awesome-- if it makes it to youtube I'll post it here.

No comments: